Winter Is Coming – Game of Thrones Season 3 Cast News
There has been plenty of action on the casting scene these last few months for Game of Thrones. The show is currently shooting in Ireland and the word from writer and story editor Bryan Cogman is that the show is looking better than ever.
He recently spoke with SciFiNow Magazine about a fighting scene that we have all been looking forward to:
“Today, I just came from the set where one of the iconic sword fights of the book is being shot, and any fan of the books will know what I am talking about,” he reveals. “I sat watching and thought to myself, ‘I’ve been waiting to see this scene shot in front of me for four years’.”
Some Powerful Casting Choices
So we know that the casting has been set and there are actually a few players that I personally am really excited about. The first is Dianna Rigg being cast as Lady Olenna Tyrell. This is a powerful character and I can’t wait to see how she will take in on. Of course, the other big casting question for this season was who would play Mance Rayder: The King Beyond the Wall.
The casting choice of Ciarán Hinds is a great one for those of us who really enjoyed him as Caesar on the show Rome. In fact, another cast member hails from that show, Tobias Menzies who played Brutus. He will be playing Edmure Tully who is the younger brother of Catelyn Stark. With his father’s death he has become Lord of Riverrun and will be an interesting role to watch as well.
A Huge Cast for Season Three
There are dozens of new cast members since the show began its third season shooting in not only Ireland where the principal shooting is taking place, but also in Bucharest. Here is a list of the dozen or so characters that I hear have been cast for the next season:
- Mackenzie Crook – Cast as Orell. He is a wilding raider. This character is a “warg” sometimes referred to as a skinchanger. They can enter an animal’s mind and control it.
- Clive Russell – Cast as Brydon “Blackfish” Tully. He is uncle to Catelyn Stark and brother to Lord Hoster Tully. Blackfish is a famous knight who has been estranged from his brother over a quarrel for the last few years.
- Nathalie Emannuel – Cast as Missandel. She was sold into slavery along with her brother from the Island of Naath. Educated and speaks several languages, it could be this is how she became a translator for the Astapor slave trader Kraznys.
- Kerry Ingram – Cast as Shireen Baratheon. The only child of Stannis Baratheon escapes from the life around her through books, loving the old myths and legends.
- Paul Kaye – Cast as Thoros of Myr. He is a Red Priest and is an important member of the Brotherhood Without Banners. Originally from the free city of Myr in Esses he serves the Lord of Light.
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster – Cast as Jojen Reed. This important ally of Bran Stark is a mysterious character.
- Ellie Kendrick – Cast as Meera Reed. She and her brother Jojen join up with Bran on his passage north to offer him protection on the difficult journey.
- Richard Dorner – Cast as Beric Dondarrin. Leader of the vigilante fighters called Brotherhood Without Banners he was once the Lord of Blackhaven and a celebrated warrior.
- Kristofer Hivju – Cast as Tormund Giantsbane. He is a fearsome wilding fighter and right hand man to the “King Beyond the Wall”.
- Ed Skrein – Cast as Daario Naharis. The Stormcrows Captain, another mercenary group. He can be both brutal and charming.
- Jacob Anderson – Cast as Grey Worm. He leads a group of eunuch slave soldiers called the Unsullied.
- Tobias Menzies – Cast as Anguy. A pivotal member of the Brotherhood Without Banners and a skilled archer.
- Tara Fitzgerald – Cast as Selyse Baratheon. Stannis Baratheon’s wife spends most of her time shut off in a dark and forbidding tower, living a secluded life.
- Anton Lesser – Cast as Qyburn. He was once a master of the Citadel but had this power taken from him several years ago.
Excited yet? I know I am. Well, so are the cast members. Here is a quick video to introduce you to some of the new cast members and hear what they have to say about joining the cast of Game of Thrones for Season Three.